Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A Glorious Picture of Love

"She was the love of my life."

It was not the first time the old man standing across from me at the bank told me about his bride. Attached to his red suspenders were large buttons emblazoned with pictures of his deceased wife. The buttons are so large and conspicuous I can't resist the implicit invitation to ask about her. When I do, his face lights up with a reminiscent smile as he proudly says, "We were married for over 50 glorious years." In my nearly three years of working at the bank, I've never seen the kind old man without his buttons displayed unabashedly across his chest. It's as though wherever he goes, he lovingly carries his wife over his heart.

This in itself is an amazing picture of love and devotion. But, it's got me thinking about how the Bible says that the church-- everyone who trusts in Christ alone for their salvation--is the bride of Christ. After seeing this man recently, I started thinking about Christ, seated at the right hand of God, unabashedly wearing our pictures over his heart. I imagine his face lighting up as he speaks fondly of us, his bride, and waits with great anticipation for the marriage supper of the Lamb-- the celebration of Christ's union with his church in heaven.

On that day we will truly understand: "Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb" (Revelation 19:9).

I find this all a glorious picture to contemplate.

3 comments:

lisa said...

um, if i didn't know better, i would think you copied this from c.s. lewis, or francis shaefer. what an amazing writer you are! this is an awesome, tingly post and i will be meditating on this thought all day! thank you.
l.l.

lisa said...

i meant, 'schaeffer'

Laura said...

Hey this is an awesome story! I am so glad I found a link to your blog (from lisa and mya's blog) :o)