Wednesday, January 21, 2009

School Days & Mr. Mom

This week I am taking a week long intensive course called "Communicating the Gospel". It's required for my MATS (MA in Theological Studies). I leave at 7:30 every morning, sit in class all day, meet with a group after class gets out, come home in time to eat some dinner, kiss Hudson, put him to bed and do homework for a few hours. Thankfully Trent has this week off of school and work to watch Hudson. While I tell him about class, projects and homework, he tells me about naps, what Hudson ate & his diapers. I enjoy learning and being in the classroom, and am particularly excited about the things I am learning in this class.

During the last 24 hours we have had to devise a 30 min "testimonial" or personal story that we can share at church luncheons, retreats, etc... I shared it with one other person this morning to get some feedback. I am excited to have this in my toolbox, ready to share with others. Next, we're learning how to write a 30 min exegetical message to teach from the Bible. I was assigned Numbers 21:4-9. I had no clue how much work goes into preparing Biblical talks. With that said, I need to do some homework.

Next week starts the regular Spring semester. Trent is taking a full load this Spring. I'll continue watching Hudson and working at the bank 20 hours a week. I'm taking 2 weekend classes during the Spring, but no regular classes. I'm looking forward to spending time raising Hudson and hopefully shaping his heart.

2 comments:

J. Grant Dys said...

No "hopefully" about it, Emily. You will be shaping that young one's heart. And, knowing the both of you, it will be a lovely shape.

Emily said...

Thanks for the comment & encouragement, Dys family! We were glad to see things are going well (on your blog).