Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Anna Katherine Casto

On Sunday morning at 2:36am, we welcomed Anna Katherine Casto into the world!
7lbs 12 oz *** 20" long

We're calling her "Anna Kate"

For those who want to know the labor/delivery story...

It was an extremely precipitous delivery! I woke up Sunday morning around 12:45am to a contraction. I had one more contraction and my water broke between 1-1:15am. We got up, went to the hospital, where I was only 3.5cm dilated. They told me they'd need to do a test to confirm that my water broke before they admitted me. I had a couple more contractions and they decided to admit me. Soon after getting into a delivery room, I started having unbelievably painful contractions one right after another. I turned into a monster, demanding an epidural immediately. A few nurses ran into my room (from my intense yelling I think!) and checked me again. I was 10cm dilated & Anna Kate was crowning! It had only been ~15min since they checked me before!

They proceeded to tell me I couldn't have any pain medicine and that I couldn't push because there wasn't a doctor in the hospital. For any women who have had a baby naturally, you know it's impossible not to push when your body says to push. While we waited for a doctor to get there, the nurses proceeded to hold Anna Kate inside of me. I had one death grip on Trent, another on a nurse & demanded that they either give me pain meds or let me deliver the baby. I guess they weren't intimidated by my death grip and demands, because they didn't let me have either one.

The doctor walked in, the nurses stopped preventing the delivery, and out came Anna Kate. I didn't even really have time to push. The room wasn't set-up for a delivery yet. They never got me hooked up to monitors. For those who haven't experienced this, it was amazing how immediate the pain relief was once Anna Kate was born. As soon as she was out, I started apologizing for being so demanding.

Now onto the fun part again...pictures from her first day of life

My 2 sisters


Hudson's 3 cousins on my side...they were all excited to meet Anna Kate and took turns holding her very carefully
Right after Hudson first met Anna Kate. He was SO excited to see her!

We love you so much sweet girl! More details & stories to come soon.


"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward." Psalm 127:3

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Three words for that birth story "oh my word!" Thanks for sharing pictures. . .she is beautiful and at least from the pictures and from what I remember Hudson looking like as a newborn, I think she looks like him. Emily, I know you have family coming, so just give me a call whenever it is convienent for you. . .I'd love to chat!
Kelli

Julie said...

Congatulations!!! You all look great - and Hudson looks like such a big boy! I've got a Katherine Anne who just turned 8, so LOVE the name!

Julie Bauer

meg said...

Love the picture with Hudson, love that Emily looks like she could just up and go for a run, love that the sisters were there for the birth, and LOVE the name. The delivery story is crazy -- you're lucky you didn't have her in the car!

Congratulations to all. She is beautiful and I'm so happy that everyone is healthy and well. Congrats!