Monday, March 21, 2011

notthewayitwassupposedtobe

The day finally arrived for Erica & I to run our first marathon together. We got ready, made it to the starting line on time (although we cut it close), weather was perfect for a long run and we were excited. We were fighting the crowds at the beginning of the race as we passed by a man on a bullhorn repeatedly warning "Watch your step, uneven surface ahead." A couple steps after him, Erica tripped and fell. Her whole front of her body skidded along the pavement. I gasped, runners pushed their way around. She attempted to stand, only to have her leg buckle from under her. Blood was pouring from her knee, their were sizable scrapes on her hand and on other spots on her leg. She was hunched over, grasping the side of the bridge we were on, lamaze-style breathing through the pain. We were motionless in a blur of activity. After a couple minutes, she exclaimed "Go on without me" to which I replied through tears "I won't leave you." It was a classic battle scene drama.

She was stable and it wasn't looking like she would be able to continue running. So, I went ahead. I ran, lamenting on the fact that we were supposed to be enduring this together. The whole race I was wondering what she was doing (getting a MRI, did an aid cart come pick her up,...). At mile 22, she was by the course cheering for me with a bandaged knee and a big smile. "Go Emmy go. I got stitches but am ok." It gave me renewed energy. I pushed harder and finished in 3:55.

Erica ended up running again until an aid station at mile 11! Her knee was still bleeding heavily and she asked for a bandaid so she could keep running. They told her she had to get stitches and couldn't keep running. They stitched her up there and she went to wait and cheer for me.

Since we didn't accomplish our goal of running a whole marathon together, this just means we get to keep training and choose another race. :)

1 comment:

Seema said...

Wow, go Emily - awesome time and way to go for it! Erica - amazing endurance to even run 11 miles and try to convince the aid station that you can keep going. Can't wait to hear about the next marathon plans!