Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sleep Update

I write this as Hudson is screaming....

We tried stopping the swaddle cold turkey. I gave in at 2:45am on the first night and swaddled him. He did go back to sleep, but when he stirred, he unwrapped himself and covered his face with the blanket. So I knew that I needed to not do that anymore. A friend recommended "half-swaddling" him. This has been ok. We just wrap him from the waist down, so he has the snugness of the swaddle, but he can't cover his face. Instead, his arms are free and he continually hits himself in the face. More specifically, he makes fists with both hands and hits himself in the left eye over and over and over again (no joke!). Then, he starts to fall asleep, startles and hits himself in the eye again. I never would've guessed that parenting would be about trying to help your 4.5mo old son stop hitting himself in the eye over and over again instead of falling asleep.

So, tonight we're going to try and address his nighttime hunger. In other words, I'm going to attempt to not feed him every 3hrs like he is wanting. When he was 2 mo old, he had a few nights where he'd sleep for 6 hours straight. We have regressed. And last night I fed him every 2-3 hours. I need to put an end to his snacking. He's old enough and weighs enough to go more than 3 hours at night without eating. My plan is to just give him his pacifier when he wants to eat the first time (& give it to him again every 10 or so minutes while he screams until he falls back asleep). I'm writing this on the blog for accountability. At the time, it's so much easier to give him a snack and go back to sleep, but the problem is getting worse. I'll write tomorrow how well we stuck to our guns.

He's now sleeping (after almost an hour of crying, the first time we've let him cry that long without picking him up). Good night!

3 comments:

Abby and Family said...

Emily-- good luck! Sounds like you are doing all the right things... this parenting stuff is hard, huh?? Take care, you are doing a great job!

Katie, Tony, and Abby :-)

Jessie said...

Emily - I swaddled Tony much longer than was "normal" because she liked/need it so much. I found this blanket here http://www.miracleblanket.com/index.htm

It is very big and especially made for swaddling tight. You could give it a try if you aren't ready to give it up.

As for feedings. Eben was totally an all night snacker. At 5 months he wanted to eat every 1-2 hours. We solved this problem by me kissing him goodnight at and not going back to him until sometime in the early morning (usually when he woke up sometime between 4 and 5). Brian went to him every time before then and after about 3 nights he figured out that Daddy was coming and didn't have what he wanted, so he quit waking for those snacks/social sessions!

Hang in there - its so hard - but it does pass!

The Fearless Fowler said...

"I never would've guessed that parenting would be about trying to help your 4.5mo old son stop hitting himself in the eye over and over again instead of falling asleep." This quote made me laugh out loud. I hope and pray that this blog will allow you to one day look back on this time and laugh, too.