Sunday, September 14, 2008

Disappointment

I ran the Lewis & Clark Half Marathon this morning with my friend, Elisa. I envisioned something very different than what happened. Here's a play-by-play of my morning...

4:00am feed Hudson
4:20am can't go back to sleep b/c I know I have to get-up soon
5:00am get up
5:20am leave my house & pick-up Elisa
5:45am arrive at half-marathon, but can't get out of the car because of Hurricane Ike
picture through the windshield (couldn't open the door to take a pic)


6:30am get out of car to go to the starting line, immediately step in over ankle deep water (it is unavoidable)
6:45am stand at start line shivering and getting pelted continuously with painful rain, race is supposed to start now
7:05am race finally starts (we can't hear any gun signifying the start, people just start running)...don't know why the race was delayed
7:45am my skin is not numb as I was wishing, but rather still stinging from the monsoon like weather we are running in
7:52am the highlight of the race...we ran under an overpass and had 7 seconds where are bodies weren't being smited
8:10am realize that despite the horrible conditions we are actually making pretty good time and I will probably get a PR (personal record) today, getting excited about this
8:27am we run across the finish line...we are only at mile 10 though instead of 13.1...we were very confused, but realized they had to stop the race early because the rest of the course was flooded
8:28am someone hands me my "finishers medal"
8:40am leave because all of the post-race tents are flooded and it was a muddy, confusing madhouse at the finish

I left feeling very disappointed because we didn't get to finish. So basically I paid money (which I doubt will be refunded) to run in atrocious conditions this morning staring at the ground the whole time (it hurt too much to look up) and didn't even get to finish. The last half-marathon I attempted was 1 year ago when I could only run a couple miles and then had to stop because I was sick (I was 10 weeks pregnant with Hudson and at the height of my morning-sickness).

There were photographers along the course and at the finish. When the pictures are posted online, I will post a link to them.

1 comment:

The Morginskys said...

what a trooper you are! i would have just never gotten out of bed! youre amazing!