Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Tribute

It's so hard for me to believe that my mother passed away 5 years ago today. She was a silent fighter during her cancer, hardly ever complaining. Rather she tried to keep things as "normal" as possible for the sake of her family, especially my younger sister who was only 12 years old when she passed away. I admired my mom for her great courage during lots of scary and unknown times during her 3 year battle with Ovarian cancer.

So many things have happened in the last 5 years that my mother would've enjoyed being a part of so much. She died before Trent & I got married (but after we got engaged) and didn't get to meet my sister's twins or Hudson. While she was on Earth, here are some of the things she enjoyed, from the perspective of her middle daughter:

*a good novel
*sitting on our back deck looking at the lake
*going out to eat
*walking & hiking
*traveling
*hanging out with her kids
*a good glass of wine
*cheese & crackers
*book club
*talking to her sister on the phone
*cribbage
*broadway shows
*a good cup of coffee
*seeing her grandson!
*folk music (Peter, Paul & Mary)
*getting together with her work friends
*blue cheese dressing
*walking on the beach

Anyone who reads this blog & knew my mom (family, friends) & wants to add to the list (in the comments), I'd love to read what you remember. :)

My mother & my nephew, Brandon September 2002

Our last professional family photo (my parents, older sister & brother-in-law & my younger sister) Summer 2001

9 comments:

Julie said...

good to see you in bible study this morning - sorry to hear about how painful this day is. My neighbor was diagnosed with ovarian cancer about 2 months ago. thanks for the tribute to your mom - she sounds like she was a great lady and loved her family.

Julie Bauer

lisa said...

hey emily. thanks for sharing this.
it was really sweet to read. and i love seeing pictures of you when you were younger. so cute.

erica said...

Other things she loved:

good church hymns
Les Mes sound track
babies
ice tea
pickled herring
roller coasters that don't go upside down
vermont
baths
chico's
watching the Braves
planting flowers
the color green
buying too many presents at Christmas

Emily said...

Erica- I'm excited about your list & can't believe I didn't think of those things except the pickled herring. I also just thought of those good BK chix sandwiches y'all used to get with extra mayo when we lived in AL.

erica said...

more things she liked:
little girls with long hair (as evidence: look at pix of you, me, and Steph at age 6)
fuzzy slippers and cotton robes
reading large printed mystery novels while walking on the treadmill

things she didn't like:
snobs
her teeth
husbands who cheat on their wives
sitcoms or TV dramas
the "Bell" chin
not working when we lived in Al
glads (the flower)
carrots

Anonymous said...

-Watching Emily play tennis - at least she came (and I think she liked it!)

I remember so many days going over to the Johnstones after school and discussing the day in its entirety with your mom. She loved hearing all the details, and you loved telling them (exaggerated as they may have been at times!) :)

Kelli said...

Emily,
I wish I could have met her. Thanks for sharing, my friend. It is so neat to think of all the little things that make us uniquely who we are.
Kelli

Anonymous said...

She loved making dad and I tuna salad when we would stop by your house on summer vacations.

oh, and didnt she really like english muffins?

Ellen Tarkinson said...

Emily,

I can't believe my timing with finding you today of all days. I guess there's a reason I've been thinking about you and your family. Your mom was a wonderful woman who in many ways was like a second mother to me when we were kids. I remember going to see PPM with our moms (listening to Amy Grant in the car) and, of course, the summer we spent time in Vermont. She was the best at french braids and your house was always full of chips and salsa (yum!), pocket pizzas and onions.

She also loved the movie Dr. Zhivago