Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Brush With Greatness


The title is just one of many comments Trent made when he got home last night, after going to our school to hear a series of lectures by Chris Wright . Chris Wright has written 3 of Trent's favorite books right now, The Mission of God, Old Testament Ethics for the People of God, and Knowing Jesus Through the Old Testament . [An interesting side note is that the other 2 books in Trent's top 5 list are also by someone with the last name Wright, Simply Christian and Surprised by Hope (NT Wright).] Anyways, Trent was on cloud nine when he got home and I really thought he might take his signed book to bed in the way that a child doesn't want to leave a new toy or prized possession. He talked non-stop for quite awhile when he got home. I wish I could remember all of Trent's comments about the evening, but here are a few:

"After if was over, I just wanted to gather with people and sing praises."

"Every word he said was like savoring a bite of a really good NY Strip."

"That just kicked the crap out of any concert I've ever been to."

"I guess I should let you in on the plan....I intend to buy every one of his books." (I did not get a reply in here :))

"Just so you know, if I want to become Anglican down the road, it's not coming out of left field." (Dr. Wright is Anglican)

1 comment:

The Fearless Fowler said...

We went to these lectures as well, and Wright was quite good. We left inspired, and we also wanted to sing praises! Dr. Williams suggested we close the evening by singing the "Gloria Patri," but then he didn't do it! Everyone was disappointed. But it was a great evening.