Thursday, September 10, 2009

How We Spend Our Time

After moving down here and having a lot of time on my hands as we didn't know anyone and I had quit my "outside-the-home" job, I started thinking about how I spend my time. I spend a lot of it hanging out with Hudson (which I really love!), but there's always a couple hours every afternoon when Hudson naps and I have "free time." I normally use that time to make dinner, clean-up, read, check e-mail (& blogs :)), pay bills, etc..., but I wanted to do something more with it. So I contacted The Bridge Breast Network about doing some volunteer work for them from home. I'm currently working on making a brochure they can hand out at educational events they put on, doctor's offices, and other places around the community. They are doing great work and helping lots of women each year who otherwise might not be able to get the healthcare they need.

Then I started thinking about my evenings. Trent and I love our time together with Hudson in the evenings, having dinner, playing, reading, singing and praying for him. We also love catching up with one another after Hudson goes to bed. But I figured this was another time that I could do something more. Tonight I get my assignment at Children's Medical Center of Dallas. I'll be volunteering there one night per week for 3 hours. I am so looking forward to it. On Tuesday night I had to rank my top 4 choices of where I would like to volunteer there. It was tough to only pick 4 and then rank those. There are so many needs there. They rely on volunteers to love these kids and families in so many different ways.

Next Tuesday I start teaching a preschool Bible school while the kids' moms go to a study on the book Calm My Anxious Heart in the Fall and the book of Genesis (in the Bible) in the Spring. I've met the other 3 women I'll be teaching with a few times and I am so excited to be around and learn from these women who love the kiddos that come to our class so well. They put lots of thought, prayer and collaboration into planning the time with the kids. 

I have already learned so much from each of these experiences and they haven't fully started yet! I'm realizing, once again, that often when we try to take time to give back to our community and others it really gives more to us. This is already certainly the case with me. I think I am going to gain more from these experiences that what I can give. 

How are you spending your time? I'd love to hear any suggestions of creative ways to be intentional with our time.

3 comments:

seemabobeema said...

I like to knit! It's always fun to see a project through to its end.

Emily said...

How fun! Are you still knitting things for your nieces and nephews?

Elisa said...

Wow, Em...you sound like you've found some great areas to serve in--and enjoy the process. Free time...well, I sure do love to discover GF recipes that actually taste good. Maybe that might fill one of your gaps one afternoon and you could share the recipe with me. I'm missing running like a flag misses its colors. I can only do cross-training...and I found myself in tears yesterday because of the lack of freedom in this area. Please pray that I can find a way to run--even if it's loops around our school or a track...