Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Few Updates

It's interesting how we have so much going on right now, but I don't know what to blog about. I haven't been taking pictures very much since we've been here. But, I thought I should write an update anyways. So, here are some random tidbits...

My pregnancy is going well. I did have some contractions last week while we were moving (I couldn't resist lifting heavy boxes, moving dressers while Trent was at work, etc...). This week I feel great though- sleeping well, no contractions now. Hudson was born 3 days after his due date and I don't think I'm having this baby anytime soon.

We're really enjoying our house. We've unpacked all the boxes except 3 and I have a feeling those 3 are going to sit in the garage for awhile before they get unpacked. Actually, one was never opened in Texas, so we can probably throw the whole box out and not know what "treasures" we're missing. It's labeled "random basement," sounds like junk to me.

We had our pool fence (baby gate for the pool) installed this week. The poles are secured on either end of our lanai (screened porch) and the poles are dropped into holes they drilled into the floor of the lanai. The mesh is incredibly strong. This fence does not budge. There are a couple spots in it that have latches at the top for an adult to open to be able to get into the pool area. It's incredibly difficult to open, which I guess is a good thing. The pediatrician did ask if we had a pool and say this was the only thing she recommended safety-wise.

We're thinking about landscaping for just outside the pool cage and along that back fence. Plants, bushes & flowers are all so tropical here, very different than WV or St. Louis.

Hudson finally had his 2 year check-up this week. It was quite difficult to find a pediatrician down here- this area could definitely use more of them! Anyways, I am very pleased with the one we got. Hudson continues to be healthy (praise the Lord!) and tiny. He's 5th percentile for height and 3rd percentile for weight. The doctor did recommend we switch him to a bed before the baby's born instead of after. He sleeps so well in his crib, so it's hard to make the switch, but I think we'll try a twin bed this week. We went to get him new sheets for it today and are borrowing a railing from someone. We've been talking it up the last few days...I'll let you know how it goes.


Hudson has really started singing a fair amount in the last couple weeks. All of a sudden we'll hear him singing a song we haven't sung for over a month. It just makes us realize how much these little ones pay attention to the world around them. He is a sponge, continually soaking up all we say and do.

A final tidbit is that Hudson LOVES his "Bible CD" that our friends, the Seilbacks, gave him over a year ago. It has Bible verses sung by Steve Green and some kids. We listen to that CD ALL THE TIME in the car. I've tried to sneak and turn on the radio for a bit, but Hudson always asks nicely to listen to the CD again. I can't resist when I have a sweet child asking from the back seat "Listen to Bible CD please, Mom" (disclaimer: Hudson has his fair share of not sweet moments, he just always seems to ask for his Bible CD nicely). Needless to say we continue to listen to this CD again and again. I think there's a 2nd volume, so I'm going to look into investing in it soon.

Hope all is well with each of you!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hi Emily! Well, your pool looks delightful, that's for sure! Just wanted to say that we didn't move Nathan into a big-boy bed until Isaac was here and he (Nathan) had gotten used to being a big brother. Nathan was about 2.5 when we made the switch, and it worked really well (we're planning to do the same thing this time, and wait until the baby is several months old and Isaac is about 2.5 before switching him to a twin). We didn't want Nathan to feel like he was just getting shoved out of everything familiar to him to make room for the baby. Just a thought.

I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well! Congratulations, again!

meg said...

Your pool looks beautiful! I laughed out loud at the "Random Basement" box. I'm moving next week and I can TOTALLY relate.

Hudson is adorable as usual. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Love, Meg