Thursday, April 24, 2008

10k


Last night Trent entered a road race series in the beautiful park by our house. Last night's race was a 10k and there are 4 more races of varying lengths over the next 4 Wednesdays. It was so much fun for both of us to be around the racing environment since this is one of our favorite hobbies. Since we've only been running marathons and half-marathons for the last few years, we've missed the smaller race feel. Trent did an awesome job, finishing 3rd overall and 2nd in his age group with a time of 38:57 (6:16 pace). He was disappointed because he was aiming for 6:00 pace, but he still enjoyed it. Hudson & I had a great time walking all around the park cheering for Trent.
I'm really looking forward to running again. I'm planning on starting next week. Monday will be 4wks since Hudson was born and the doctor told me to wait at least 4 or 5 weeks. I stopped running when I was 36 weeks pregnant and next Wed will be 9wks since I last ran, which is the longest I've ever gone without running in over a decade. Although I've continued to walk a few miles daily or do the elliptical during this time, I'm definitely planning on easing back into running. I do not want to wind up with an injury. We also can't take Hudson in the stroller when we run for a few more months and we both enjoy taking him for walks (& he seems to love the motion). All that to say I think I'll split my time between running and walking.

about 200 people ran

about mile 3.5 with no competition in sight

a strong finish

2 comments:

Abby said...

emily, just stopping by. i read what you said about the baby whisperer and babywise and just wanted to say that the best advice i ever got was to "throw the books away!" but if one of those works for you and trent and hudson, then go for it. we never could be anything but stressed out with any sort of schedule, so we are the kind of parents who just do what works, and that varies from day to day and from child to child. and i think our kids are okay :) however, what is freeing to me might be stressful to you, so if a book and a schedule helps, do it! you'll find a groove that's just right for y'all eventually, but generally speaking, the first 4 months are kind of willy nilly- they are so tiny and needy and unpredictable! sounds like you are taking it all in stride though! if you ever get antsy being at home, stop by!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the race! It's a good thing I pushed you around that track when I was there to help your training. :-) Hudson looks like he is growing by leaps and bounds. Thanks for keeping us up to date with the blogs and pics.

Dad C.