Monday, April 21, 2008

Parenting

We are adjusting more to parenthood, but continually learning new things. One thing I've learned recently is that there are many different theories about babies and sleeping. Now that I've heard some people talk about it, it seems like everyone knows all of these theories and which one they think is best for them. I feel overwhelmed learning about them. In the last week, I've skimmed through 2 different books on the subject (Babywise and The Baby Whisperer) and read the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) website. The problem I'm running into is that all my friends and neighbors that I've discussed this with cannot say enough good things about these 2 theories, but they are in contradiction to the AAP and what our pediatrician told us. So, Trent & I are asking ourselves which we should follow. I'm not sure how I never knew about these things before I had him. Most other moms I talk to tell me all the research they did while they were pregnant and the plan they developed. I never did any research, reading or thinking about this subject. Now, we need a game plan. Right now, Hudson does a pretty good job eating, "playing" and then sleeping. He sleeps mostly in his crib and we tried letting him cry last night, but got him after 15min of wailing. I felt horrible for letting him lay there and cry that whole time. He stopped as soon as I picked him up and then fell asleep in his crib a bit later after reading a book and singing. If there was just someone telling you what the right thing to do was all the time. I imagine this is just the first of many parenting things that we will question and hope we're doing the right thing.
After 2 Sundays off, Trent preached yesterday. He enjoys it so much and was glad to be back into his routine of studying for his sermon and preaching. Hudson did a great job sleeping through his dad's sermon.
More pics soon...Hudson is really growing. I'm guessing at his one month check-up he'll be a very high percentile for weight, height and head circumfrence.

No comments: